Welcome, and thank you for having a look at my photographic art. I’d like to take you on a visual tour through the natural world I know. This is the outdoors experience through my eyes. I invite you to follow on my journey. Please contact me if you have any questions about my work, I would love to hear from you!
Bio / Artist Statement
Born and raised in Hawaii, I learned about the Hawaiian culture, specifically the way the Ancient Hawaiians held the land in reverence. Those teachings instilled in me an understanding that human beings have an intrinsic relationship with the land that should be held in high respect.
The land possesses Mana, a sacred and spiritual life force. The experience we have in sacred or energetically resonate places is a powerful and mysterious feeling. For me it is explored through my vision, heart, and spiritual connection.
I began shooting nature landscapes over 15 years ago. Initially, I learned on a fully manual 35mm film Nikon F1 camera shooting with black and white film as well as color slides. After a couple of years, I transitioned to a digital camera system and quickly embraced the digital workflow process.
I left a career in engineering to live a life spent outdoors and to answer the call of an explorer’s dream. The desire to experience the diversity, complexity, and majestic powers of nature fuels my passion for travel and photography. Nature acts spontaneously, and without bias, and so it is a magnificent gift to be witness as events unfold.
Once I began traveling, however, I discovered a more subtle form of nature’s abundant life force. The “this is it” experience is not necessarily located at a particular destination; it is found along the way. I am drawn to the moments where I feel in harmony with my surroundings. My work focuses on capturing beautiful light on impactful subjects in order to propel the viewer into a natural experience.
The photographic process for me is separated into two distinct phases. In the field, I use a DSLR camera to capture the visual data that is used to create the final image. In the digital editing (post-processing) phase, I use tools to balance the exposure as well add contrast in selective areas. My process results in an images that are slightly fantastical yet still rooted in reality.
I aim to create a sense of wonder in each of my pieces. I want to recapture the sense of awe and childhood imagination that often gets abandoned along the way to adulthood. I create art where the viewer is free to wallow in the mysteries and unknown of a beautiful landscape. May my images rejuvenate your spirit, bring you peace, and inspire your imagination.
What Other’s Say About Me
“Behind every amazing image is a great lensman. You can tell that Dustin Wong is one of those few professional photographers that dedicate’s his time and love in the art of photography just by looking at his images. I had the pleasure of touring with him. His patience and deep understanding of landscape and light made us appreciate the intricate details of each and every scene more and more as we photograph it. His perseverance on getting “that shot” even if he’d hike or camp alone in a grizzly backcountry over and over again, tells it all. During our downtimes, he would generously share his workflows, insights and opinions about photography and post processing. We all know that there’s only a handful of pro-photographers who at the same time, has the skills to teach. Dustin is one of them.”
“I learned not just about the mechanics of photography, but about the passion behind great work. I came away with a deeper appreciation of seeing the world through my own unique perspective. Thank you for my invaluable opportunity to learn in-depth about the art of photography and explore another facet of living life. You are a great teacher and friend”
– L. Ngyuen
“I attended one of Dustin’s workshops in the Pacific Northwest, and I was very pleased. Dustin was an excellent teacher, and I learned a lot while I was with him. Dustin is very friendly, and he knows the Pacific Northwest well, so there will never be a dull moment.”
– Matthew Tilley
About My Equipment
In addition to a camera, lenses and tripod gear, there are powerful computers, storage/backup hard drives, and editing software that are invaluable to me in my digital workflow process. This equipment has been carefully selected to enable me to create high quality images.
What’s In My Bag?
- F-Stop Loka w Large ICU (I highly recommend this bag company)
- F-Stop Large ICU (slope)
- F-Stop Medium ICU
- F-Stop Rain Cover
- Sony A7RII
- Canon 5D MKIII (backup)
- Canon EF 14mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L I USM Lens
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM Lens
Tripod Legs & Head
- Really Right Stuff TVC-24L Versa series 2 Tripod Legs
- Really Right Stuff BH-40 PCLR: Mid-sized ballhead with PC-LR clamp
- Really Right Stuff BA7R2-L: L-Plate for A7RII
- Really Right Stuff B5D3-LA: L-Plate for 5D Mark III
Tripod – Light Kit
- Gitzo GT-2531 Mountaineer 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs
- Induro BHD2 Ballhead
- Shoot Rm-vpr1 – Timer/Remote (for sony)
- PHOTTIX TR-90 – Timer/Remote (for canon)
- B+W Circular Polarizers
- Neutral Density Filter (3-stop) for my 16-35mm lens
- Extra Batteries
- Dual-Channel LCD Charger for Sony NP-FW50 (charging two batteries at once is a MUST have)
- DUAL-ion+ ReVIVE Series LP-E6 Camera Battery Charger
The Computer Stuff
- Apple 27-inch iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB RAM, 3TB Fusion Drive
- Synology Diskstation DS416 4-Bay NAS Server
- 4 x WD Red 6TB NAS Hard Disk Drive – 5400 RPM
- WD My Book 6 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive (running Time Machine)
- WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive
- 2TB LaCie d2 Quadra with USB 3.0
- Datacolor Spyder4ELITE Display Calibration System (critical to making sure edits come out the way you want them to)
- Apple 15-inch Macbook Pro w Retina Display 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive
- WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive (running Time Machine)
- WD My Passport Ultra 2TB Portable External USB 3.0 Hard Drive
- Anker AH221 USB 3.0 7-Port Powered Hub (Useful to connect all USB accessories at once)
- Lexar Dual Slot USB 3.0 Reader Professional (Essential for quicker uploading of data, saves camera battery)
- CrashPlan (Monthly subscription for off-site back and restore services)
- Adobe Lightroom CC
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Nik Software (full package)
- Tk Actions Panel
- StarStaX (for creating star trails)
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 (video editing and movie production)
- LR Timelapse (editing and creating timelapse sequences)
Read more about the Sportsmobile